Catching up with Kieran and his mom for his graduation session back in June was an incredibly special experience. I remember Mr. K from his first years of school and seeing how proud his mom is of him and how excited he was to be finishing up those long years of school was a blast. Keep up all of the amazing work Mr. K! You rock!
Mitchell graduated from the High School this June and we celebrated with an early family session around town. I don’t believe Mitchell was too pleased with me when I told the fam-jam to give him a big bear hug – but he put up with it none-the-less 😉
Emma and I share a very strong obsession with reality T.V. – and for that I think she’s an incredibly rad chick. Upon meeting we chatted about our love for Survivor (Starts again on Wednesday girl!) and I knew instantly that she’s in my good books!
I’ve had the pleasure of working with Gabe and his family many times over the years. His mom asked me about my interest in sports photography many years ago – and I can definitely thank her for helping push me in that direction. So needless to say it was quite different to be photographing Gabe in a suit rather than his soccer gear!
Thank you Gabe and family for hanging out! (And adding a bit of sport into the session as well!)
Some of you may be wondering about the recent changes to my logo and page name. I have noticed for some time that my fans and clients are often asking me what my first name is when we meet or start e-mailing. I want everyone to feel comfortable to approach me and not have that lingering feeling of…
‘Great, so I know you are a photographer, and your last name is Smiley… – but what do I actually call you!?’ (Fun Fact – I do respond just as quickly to ‘Smiley’ and I do to Laura.)
Meeting new people and having the privilege to work with so many wonderful people in my job is one of my favourite parts of the experience. I hope that with sharing my full name it can open up conversation more quickly and easily. I am so excited about the change!
For those of you who haven’t been following me long I’d like to tell you a little about myself.
- Most of my life has been spent living in Wainwright Alberta. I moved back in 2013 and am quite happy to call Wainwright my home.
- I have been running Laura Smiley Photography (formerly L Smiley Photography) since I graduated from high school in 2008.
- I attended Grant MacEwan University from 2008-2011 and studied Design with a major in Photography. I met some amazing friends in those years.
- I absolutely love outdoor photography. Whether it be weddings, grads, family, sports, etc… I love being outdoors as much as possible.
- I love Nikon and I love Macs
- My favourite sport is baseball – and it is probably the only sport that I actually understand the rules and can actually watch from start to finish without being completely lost. (Go Blue Jays, Cubs & Cardinals!)
- Traveling keeps me sane. I usually like to have my next trip planned before I am even home from the last.
- I love a good road-trip. Even if it is work related that time on the road is so much fun. I find myself constantly admiring the scenery and thinking ‘I wish I had a bride in the car with me…’
- Coffee and steak are staples. A morning is truly not started until I have had that coffee. And steak… That’s a food group if you ask me. 😉
- One of my favourite adventures in the last two years has been Auntie ‘TeeTee’ to my handsome twin nephews. Those two absolutely melt my heart.
Laura Smiley – firstname.lastname@example.org
Photo credit – Jenna Taryn Photography